Monday, December 20, 2010

HOBY WLC - Kylie Woolley

HOBY WLC - Los Angeles, CA 
UCLA Campus
 
HOBY WLC -UCLA
Utah Representatives
HOBY World Leadership Congress... where to start!! Amazing. Incredible. Friendships. Life-changing. 500 students from around the world, all brought together for one reason: a desire to change the world. The feeling of being surrounded by so many incredible people is unexplainable!! There was a unique and wonderful feeling there that I have never experienced anywhere else. I could honestly write pages and pages about those 7 days that I spent with the most amazing people in the world… but really, my WLC experience can be summed up in one statement made by our HOBY Mama, Kara Belew:  "You will not fit back in the package you came in." I believe this to be 100% true for every single person who participated in the WLC.  After an experience like that, you don't go home the same person. You go home empowered to make a change in the world, and with the tools to do so.
WLC gave me a new perspective of service. Although we don't always realize it, that's what leadership is: service. Being a leader is about making a difference in people's lives. There are so many people who are in need; and really, what is it to us to reach out a helping hand? To give a little of our time, money, or even just our friendship.
Through WLC, my mind was opened to so many new ideas and cultures. The people I met there came from so many different aspects of life, which opened my eyes to so many diverse ideas and opinions. I learned the importance of an open mind. We must have our beliefs and opinions, yet it is essential to be open to new ideas and eager to change. This is definitely a key factor of being a good leader. It was also an amazing experience to become close friends with so many different people from around the world. Although we all came from different backgrounds and cultures, it was incredible to discover how alike we all were. I loved spending time with these awesome people, sharing thoughts and ideas and creating life-long friendships.  
We can change the world. The people I met at WLC are all working towards this, and through this conference we were all further empowered to make a difference. They are the leaders of our future. WLC helped me find things that I am passionate about and turn them into leadership aspects that can make at least some small difference in our world, and improve people’s lives. I know that I definitely did NOT fit back in the package I arrived at LA in. HOBY expanded my horizons and enabled me to set goals that I now have to tools to achieve! There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of this incredible experience and try to apply it to my life. I am so grateful for HOBY, and the leader it has made me.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment