Monday, October 4, 2010

HOBY Spotlight - Mitchell Bassett

Mitchell Bassett


Schools: Lone Peak HS, Utah State University, Duke School of Medicine
HOBY Alumni Year: 2001
Graduation Year: High School 2003, BS 2009

How did you find out about HOBY?
My high school counselor.

What HOBY has done for you? 
HOBY opened my eyes to all of the opportunities for young people to get involved in their school and community.   I met some of our state's and nation's most powerful leaders who inspired me to follow my dreams.  I was motivated by all of the service and leadership projects by current and former ambassadors. HOBY didnt teach me what to think, but HOW to think.  I can honestly say that HOBY was the most defining turning point in my life.  It transformed a shy high school sophomore who was trying to change himself to a dreamer who is still trying to change the world.  

What have you been up to since?   
 I was an ambassador at Utah State University, epigenetic researcher, political activist, and a 4-year collegiate cheerleader.  I am now a second year medical student at Duke University.


What was your favorite part about HOBY or has stuck with you the most? 
The friends I made nearly 10 years ago at HOBY are still some of my closest friends today.

What is your advice to incoming sophomores and future HOBY ambassadors?  
Soak it all in.  Take good notes and get out of your comfort zone.  Find a way to make a difference in your community.

Mitchell and Maile

Utah State Cheerleader

Duke Medical School

No comments:

Post a Comment