Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Spotlight - Houston Lui

Houston Lui


Schools:  Carbon High School, Seattle Pacific University
HOBY Alumni Year: 2004
Graduation Year: High School 2006, BA 2010


How did I find out about HOBY?

My high school counselor asked me if I would be interested in being the first individual to go to the HOBY conference from my school.  I was honored and joyfully accepted.

What has HOBY done for you?

Not only has it brought friendships, but it brought a perspective of what the real world is like.  The panels opened my eyes to differences in the world; whether it is differences in jobs, or differences in religion.  HOBY taught me to think about everyday life in a global perspective.  Though we will all choose different paths in our lives, it is always good to take others into consideration and not be close minded to those around us.

What have I been up to since?

I actually returned to HOBY the following year as a team leader and had the best time ever!!! I then finished high school (Student Body President) and moved out to Seattle for college.  I graduated last year from Seattle Pacific University with a BA in Biology and a minor in Chemistry.  Through my college years, I was able to be president of my residence hall and then a Resident Advisor the following year in a different dorm.  I am currently a 5th grade math and science teaching assistant in a private elementary school.  I am also studying for the MCAT, and planning on applying to medical school this year. 

Recently, I was able to go to Rwanda and learn about forgiveness and reconciliation.  For those of you who don’t know, Rwanda had a mass genocide in 1994 and over 1 million people were killed over a course of 100 days.  My team and I were able to go participate in reconciliation workshops, help build houses, and just hear personal accounts of what happened to people during the genocide.  Rwanda is a beacon of light in this bleak world; people are forgiving others for killing their family and friends, while becoming friends themselves.  It amazes me how easily we hold grudges towards one another for the smallest of things.  The people of Rwanda are showing TRUE forgiveness and are a model of what the world needs most.  This trip was broadened my scope of the global perspective, and I look forward to going back in the near future.

What was your favorite part about HOBY or has stuck with you the most?

I would have to say the friendships and the global perspective that I have obtained.  There are not many places where you can go meet dozens of new people from different walks of life for a single weekend.  There is a connection that is made and a bond that tends to last.  I still keep in touch with some of the people from HOBY, and it is always great to reminisce about the great times we had.  Besides the friendships, I was able to see that I could be anything that I wanted to be.  Though life short, we can achieve our highest goals and truly make an impact in the world.

What is your advice to incoming sophomores and future HOBY ambassadors? 

I would say to make the most of the opportunity that you are given.  The weekend will be a time of great fun and learning, but don’t just take it with a grain of salt.  Reflect upon your panels, group discussions and time together.  Make an effort to take as much out of the weekend as possible; I know that you all will be happy that you did.  Also, maintain the relationships that you acquire at HOBY.  Who knows what kind of blessing they can be in your life.  For me, this conference was a stepping stone into something greater; a step towards a greater purpose.  
Resident Advisor


High School Graduation


Rawanda   
College Graduation

No comments:

Post a Comment