Wednesday, November 17, 2010

HOBY Spotlight - Karrie Lutz

Karrie Lutz
Karrie (Johansen) Lutz
Schools: Emery High School, College of Eastern Utah, Brigham Young University
HOBY Alumni Year: 2003
Graduation Year: High School 2005, BS 2008

How did you find out about HOBY?
In my English class all sophomores were invited to write an essay describing why they should be the one selected to attend HOBY.

What HOBY has done for you?
HOBY was a lot of fun. I remember meeting a lot of great people. I love learning about leadership and how to be a better leader and this conference did just that. There were great speakers who challenged us, and really made us think about our future. I remember one of the guest speakers talking to us about Michael Jordan. He gave us a few statistics about the amount of money Jordan makes. I wrote some of them down, and still have my notes! He will make over $300,000 a game, $10,000 a minute assuming he averages about 30 minutes a game. Assuming $40 mil in endorsements next year, he'll be making $178,100 a day (working or not)! Assuming he sleeps 7 hours a night, he makes $52,000 every night. If he goes to see Independence Day, it'll cost him $7.00, but he'll make $18,550 while he's there. If he decides to have a 5 minute egg, he'll make $618 while boiling it.  I knew that I would not have to worry about making $10,000 a minute, but it really inspired me want to find something I loved to do and be great at it.

What have you been up to since?
Law school, working for Adobe, and I got married!

What is your advice to incoming sophomores and future HOBY ambassadors?

Get out of your comfort zone. I am a twin, and Kristine and I had never been apart until I attended HOBY. The first day I was a little shy and kind of nervous, but I got out of my comfort zone and started to get to know other people and it was great. Share your ideas. There is a lot of great information given to you there so write it down and use it!  Be open to new ideas and other people.

Wedding

NYC

BYU Graduation
NYC


No comments:

Post a Comment